Building a sustainable business, capable of delivering value to all our stakeholders, is an integral part of Capita’s business model. To reflect this we integrate our CR reporting within our annual report, aligning a number of non-financial KPIs with our four CR priority areas – our employees, suppliers, communities and clients, and environment.
Corporate Responsibility Report 2015
Capita’s latest Corporate Responsibility (CR) report outlines our approach to CR combined with our 2015 highlights and performance. This report is an executive summary report, providing further details around our strategy and approach for each of these priority areas.
Engaging with our stakeholders is key to Capita’s success and both our annual employee and client surveys provide some great feedback on how we are doing as an employer and service partner. As always, this intelligence is being used to develop how we operate as a business to ensure we retain our market leading position.
Continuing to engage with our key stakeholders and carrying out regular materiality reviews, alongside our wider risk management framework, helps us to ensure our CR strategy and focus areas remain relevant to our business and support the areas where we can add greatest value in our local communities.
We manage the business in a way which benefits all Capita’s stakeholders, helping us to contribute positively to society and create financial value by enhancing our competitive advantage and building strong client and employee relationships. We continued to make progress against our long term CR commitments in 2015.
Other key highlights from our 2015 report include:
- Continued to support local economies and small businesses to grow by further increasing the number of SMEs in our supplier base to 76%
- Developed a new policy detailing our approach and commitment to support the elimination of modern slavery
- Invested £2.3m through our ‘Creating better tomorrows’ community programme, including volunteering hours, sharing our expertise and Gift in Kind. We also collaborated with clients to tackle pressing social issues on a local and national scale
- Reduced our total carbon emissions by 11%
Our employees continue to fully involve themselves in various CR activities across the business, including:
- our ongoing ‘Going green’ initiatives, such as our mobile phone and ink cartridge recycling, and waste reduction schemes
- fundraising and volunteering for our corporate charity partner as well as local charities and community groups
- our work with school children to improve their employability skills and deliver CV advice workshops
- collaborative working with SMEs to help small businesses build capacity and support local job creation and growth.