Our environmental management policies enable us to meet our own statutory obligations, meet our clients expectations, share our expertise with our suppliers to support them in their objectives, manage environmental risk, and maintain our reputation.
What else do we do?
- We minimise resource use at all our sites – focusing our efforts on energy reduction.
- We manage waste and work with our facilities provider to recycle as much as possible We work collaboratively with other tenants in multi-occupancy buildings.
- We’re continually striving to reduce our carbon footprint by reducing energy consumption and promoting alternatives to business travel, such as increased use of conference calls. We even hold one of the government approved Carbon Saver Gold Awards.
- We use technology – such as smart meters – where we can, to drive down consumption even further.
- We run a rolling programme of server consolidation – data centres are very power hungry.
- We encourage our people to use public transport where it’s possible and we run a cycle to work scheme.
- We run awareness and behavioural change campaign weeks around ‘Going Green’ - such as Capita Green Week - to encourage employees to consider their environmental impact at home as well as work, with promotional activities, information and energy-saving ideas.
What did we achieve in 2015?
- Our Smarter Working initiative reduced our business travel by an incredible 45% over the initial two-month period.
- Our carbon emissions reduced by 11% in comparison to the previous year, taking us from 139,672 (tonnes CO2 eq) to 124,329 (tonnes CO2eq).
- Our carbon intensity decreased by 21.4%, a whopping 16.9% above our target.
- We recycled an impressive 2,979,331 kg (2979.3311 tonnes) of paper and 10,011 mobile phone and printer cartridges items.
- Approximately 22% of our employees were based at ISO 14001 accredited sites.