- Analytics and business intelligence in healthcare is still undervalued
- Transforming Commissioning Saving Lives programme
Transforming Commissioning Saving Lives programme
Case study: Using an intensive ‘work alongside’ commissioning service model, we supported NHS Ashton Leigh and Wigan (ALW) to deliver the Transforming Commissioning Saving Lives programme over a three-year period.
Our support included:
- Devising, developing and implementing strategies to allow the client to improve their commissioning of clinical care services.
- Implementation of best practice commissioning techniques and technology/tools e.g. patient level risk stratification, predictive modelling, contract management,demand management and population level capacity planning.
- Supporting the development of GP clinical commissioning, healthcare service re-design, demand management and effective supplier management/procurement.
- Benchmarking of current activity and spend against UK and international best practice criteria
- Organisational development and leadership coaching – working with the Chief Executive and his team in ALW and on joint programmes with the Local Authority.
- Skills and knowledge transfer.
Benefits achieved were £14.39m, which consisted of:
- Over £3m cash release in year 1 and recurrent cost avoidance.
- Over £2m annual Unscheduled Care Programme savings – demand mgt, GP-led triage.
- Prescribing savings of £1.29m.
- A further £2.85m future productivity savings to be achieved by the commissioners via roll-out of new service models across six clinical areas - Diabetes, Rheumatology, Breathlessness, Stroke, Ophthalmology and ENT.