Sky is Europe’s leading entertainment and communications business, famous for its pioneering technology and good customer service. With 22m customers and 57m products, it’s been a household name since the 1990s. And its 30,000 employees are at the centre of its success.
How we helped Sky engage and reward its employees
Increase employee engagement with benefits.
Behavioural analysis and insight to personalise timely communications.
50% increase in logging into benefits system.
As a major UK employer, Sky was an early adopter of auto enrolment. But it’s a fast paced environment at Sky and changes in the requirement of the business, priorities and administration meant that the system they had procured to do the job struggled to deliver the output quality needed at the pace required.
Sky appointed us to launch a new employee benefits programme and transition from the existing system – all within five months.
We carried out a strategic audit and behavioural insights review of their existing benefits programme, and the processes behind it.
From this we formulated a programme for change, with a benefits solution that would meet employee’s individual needs, and deliver on functionality and user experience.
Using our employee benefits technology, Orbit, we were able to:
- consolidate the benefits plan and auto enrolment solution to handle Sky’s scale (over 30,000 employees)
- use employee data to improve and personalise the employee journey
- make the site responsive, delivering optimum experience, regardless of the device used
- integrate the existing HR and payroll system with Orbit, thanks to a trusted partnership with the Sky IT team, to ensure a seamless process for assessing benefit eligibility and auto enrolment.
Behavioural analysis and insight meant effective, personalised and timely communication could be sent to employees – matching the benefits and rewards to the person. It also informed our governance recommendations, which reflected the patterns found between performance, income, service years, family situation, etc, and the take up of benefits. This allows Sky to tie together reward, benefits and management to encourage employee engagement.
- 50% increase in logging into benefits system
- 78% of employees actively logged in to review choices and make changes
- of the 12 voluntary benefits, 11 saw dramatic increases, eg, gym memberships increased by 122%, dental insurance by 54%, health assessments by 65%
- 48% of employees selected new benefits or made changes during the election window.
- no manual intervention in the file transfers
- saving time and reducing errors by over 90%.
Sky has been working with Capita since May 2015 on developing an engaging benefits brand and a straightforward intuitive platform for our employee journey. Primarily we wanted to educate our employees in all of the pensions and benefits we offer at Sky, in order for them to make active choices to select benefits that fitted their lifestyle and helped them when they needed it most. We have used segmented data to target specific employees and the comms we send to them and continue to build this use of data.
Head of reward - pensions and benefits, Sky