Financial highlights - continuing operations
Reported YoY change
|Profit before tax||£195m||£134m||+46%||£28m||£37m||(26%)|
|Earnings/(loss) per share||22.92p||16.12p||+42%||(0.11)p||4.66p||(102%)|
|Interim dividend per share||11.1p||11.1p||-||11.1p||11.1p||-|
|Free cash flow||£179m||£214m||(16%)||£182m||£199m||(9%)|
Strategic initiatives: re-positioning going to plan
- Disposal of our Asset Services businesses for £888m to Link Group, expected to complete in Q4 2017
- Completed disposal of transactional specialist recruitment businesses
- Cost initiatives on track to realise around £57m savings by the end of 2018
- Implemented new simplified market facing organisation structure.
2017 H1 financial summary: trading broadly in line with expectations
- Early adopted IFRS 15 from 1 January 2017 on a fully retrospective basis
- Underlying revenue declined by 3%. Growth on a like for like basis1 was 1% including 0.5% organic decline
- Underlying profit before tax1 up 46% to £195m (H1 2016: £134m)
- Underlying earnings per share1 up 42% to 22.92p (H1 2016: 16.12p)
- Maintained interim dividend of 11.1p (H1 2016: 11.1p)
- Free cash flow before non-underlying items1 £179m (H1 2016: £214m) and after non-underlying items £182m (H1 2016: £199m)
- Net debt at end June 2017 of £1,596m (H1 2016 £1,901m)
- Reported profit before tax £28m (H1 2016: £37m)
- Reported loss per share (0.11)p (H1 2016: 4.66p).
Major sales: win rate improved in quiet market
- £403m of major contract wins (H1 2016: £879m)
- Major contract win rate 1 in 2 (2016: 1 in 3)
- Bid pipeline £3.1bn (March 2017: £3.8bn), with a weighted average contract length of 5.5 years (March 2017: 7 years). Annual value of bids maintained.
- Underlying pre-tax profits before significant new contracts and restructuring to rise modestly in the second half, compared to the first half of 2017
- Leverage at the end of 2017 around the bottom of our 2.0 to 2.5 times range, prior to the impact of IFRS 15 and potential unwind of receivables financing
- We remain confident that the actions we commenced last year are making Capita a simpler business, well positioned for the future under new leadership.
(1) Refer to appendix 1 for calculation of Alternative Performance Measures. Capita Asset Services has been treated as a discontinued operation.
Nick Greatorex of Capita plc, commented:
“In the first half of 2017, we made good progress on executing the plans laid out at the end of last year to reposition the Group: we announced the sale of our Asset Services businesses, completed the disposal of our specialist recruitment business and commenced a number of cost initiatives. We remain confident that these actions are making Capita a simpler business, well positioned for the future under new leadership."
Analyst & investor presentation
Ian Powell Chairman and Nick Greatorex Interim CEO and Group Finance Director of Capita plc will host a presentation of our results in London at 08:30 UK time today.
There will also be a live video webcast and a telephone dial-in facility of the presentation on the day, at 08.30am UK time, with an on-demand version available on our website www.capita.com/investors later that day.
Please find the webcast link and dial-in details below:
To register for the webcast please paste the link above into your browser and follow the on-screen instructions.
United Kingdom: 020 3059 8125
All other locations: + 44 20 3059 8125
Participant password: Capita - this must be quoted to the Operator in order for participants to gain access to the conference.