When you apply for a job at Capita or submit your personal details in relation to work finding services, Capita will collect and process your personal data only as necessary for the purpose of providing recruitment services to you.
Capita is committed to keeping your personal data safe and complying with the principles relating to the processing of personal data under the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR. We take care to protect the privacy of all our candidates and work-seekers looking for opportunities within Capita.
You can also choose to manage the marketing communications you receive by using opt-out mechanisms in emails we send to you. In such cases, we will retain the minimum personal data necessary to record that you opted out, in order to avoid contacting you again.
What information are you collecting about me and why?
The following categories of data may be collected by Capita for our recruiting and hiring purposes:
- your personal details, for example, your name, email address, telephone number and other personal data as necessary
- CVs, covering letters and applications
- data provided by you, which may be generated by interviewers and recruiters, based on our interactions with you
- information provided on your behalf (for example, via a reference request)
- personal details provided by third-party agencies, recruiters, or job-search websites, where applicable
- information about your previous employment, education, and where applicable, credit history, criminal records checks and associated background screening checks as necessary for the role into which you are being recruited
- documents required by law (for example, proof of right to work)
- information voluntarily provided by you in relation to diversity and inclusion
- data generated from any psychological, technical or behavioural assessments taken in the recruitment process. You will receive more information about the nature of such assessments before your participation in any of them.
What will Capita do with my personal data?
Capita will use your personal data for the purpose of work finding services in Capita’s legitimate business interest, to ensure we recruit the appropriate employees. We may:
- assess your suitability for future roles that may become available and facilitate communication with you about upcoming opportunities
- manage your application and facilitate communication with you
- fulfil your requests for services and information
- notify you of changes to our services
- perform data analytics, including analysis of our applicant pool in order to better understand who is applying to positions at Capita and how to attract talent into our business
- potential further reviews of any recorded online interviews by additional recruiters and hiring managers
- perform any legally required reporting, and respond to legal process on the basis of complying with any legal obligations
- monitor behaviour on our website to improve your browsing experience
- monitor effectiveness of our attraction channels to improve our recruitment services.
Where we reference legitimate interests for a given purpose, Capita will have taken into account all rights of the individual and if these rights could be impacted by our processing activities. We will process your personal data for the purposes mentioned above and Capita will not use your personal data for purposes that are incompatible with the purposes listed in this privacy statement, unless it is required or authorised by law.
How will you collect information about me?
Capita may collect or obtain data about you from the following sources:
- From you, when you submit your CV or other information online
- Via social media or via data that recruiters and/or hiring managers may obtain from job search/professional networking websites (e.g. Indeed.com, LinkedIn, etc.) where you may have made data about yourself publicly available
- From conversations with recruiters and/or hiring managers, some of which may be recorded
- From previous employers
- From third-party recruiters, staffing companies, or websites where you are introduced to Capita through one. Any CV or other candidate information submitted outside of established Capita guidelines (including through the Careers website or via email to any Capita employee) and without a written agreement or otherwise will be deemed to be provided for Capita’s use
- From other Capita owned or affiliated business entities
- From background checks, as applicable. Where permitted by law, Capita may perform pre-employment background screening and the content of background check information varies by country to comply with local requirements, but may include information gathered from publicly available sources, your former employers and criminal records databases as examples. You will receive more information about the nature of such background checks before they begin.
- Data generated from any psychological, technical or behavioural assessments taken in the recruitment process.
This information will be captured to provide work seeking services to you and to monitor and improve our recruitment function and user experience.
Your personal details supplied will be processed by:
- Capita recruiters working on the position you are applying for
- hiring managers and other interviewers within Capita
- sourcing partners and interview administrators working on current or future positions you apply for or register interest in, based in various countries where Capita Group Resourcing teams are based.
Will you transfer my data outside of the UK?
We may process some personal data in India through Capita India Private Limited and South Africa which is outside the European Economic Area. Capita locations outside the UK include Poland, India and South Africa. Where we process data outside of the UK, we will put appropriate technical and organisational measures in place to keep your personal data secure.
Examples of personal data that may be processed outside of the UK:
- Information associated with your application or expression of interest in roles to assess your suitability for current or future opportunities with Capita.
- Information required to confirm and schedule telephone, face to face and virtual interviews with hiring managers.
- Reference requests, creating manual contracts of employment, uploading personal information and the quality check of right to work documentation.
- Employment suitability screening.
Who will you share my data with?
Capita may need to share your personal data with third parties such as service providers. Before doing so, Capita takes steps to protect your personal data. Any service providers to whom your personal data are disclosed, are required to protect the confidentiality and security of your personal data and may only use your personal data in compliance with applicable data protection laws.
Our services providers include:
- individuals performing administrative and IT support functions
- employees at our service providers, including:
- Workday - our applicant tracking system
- Avature - which hosts and supports our talent pipelining activities
- HireVue - a company that hosts a virtual interview tool used to record interviews where live interviews are not possible
- Arctic Shores - a company that assists Capita in conducting psychological, technical or behavioural assessments
- Companies contracted to perform background screenings, where applicable. You will receive more information about any such check before it begins
- government officials where legal reporting requirements may exist.
How long will Capita retain my personal data?
Capita has a Data Retention Policy which mandates how long records, including personal data, must be retained. Retention periods are determined by legislation and business requirements. In most cases for the purpose of work finding services, we will hold your data within our talent pool for 2 years unless we have a legitimate business need or regulatory obligation which requires that we hold certain data for a superseding period of time.
All information will be kept securely on our systems. All personal data will be held in accordance with the Capita Data Retention Policy.
What rights do I have?
The right to be informed
Capita provides fair processing of information by way of this privacy notice.
The right of access
You have the right to obtain confirmation whether or not we are processing your data and a right to obtain a copy of the data that we hold. This is known as a Subject Access Request. Please contact us at email@example.com should you wish to make a request.
The right to rectification
If any information held is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to have that information corrected or removed. If other parties have been passed the information (such as HMRC) we will, where possible, inform them of the rectification undertaken. Please contact your resourcing contact to make this request.
The right to erasure (also known as the “right to be forgotten”)
You have the right for your information to be deleted. We will oblige unless we are required by law to retain the information.
The right to restrict or object to processing
You have the right to block or restrict processing, this won’t affect the processing done so far, but will stop further processing. For example, if you apply for a role, we will have to keep information on file for a certain period; we can however remove you from our active candidate talent pools if you wish not to be contacted about further opportunities.
The right to data portability
You have the right for your information to be provided in a machine-readable format to enable easy transfer between processors. This right is available to personal data provided by you.
The right not to be subject to automated decision making
Should we use automated decision-making we will inform you how and when this will happen and where the decision is fully automated, we will request your consent.
The right to withdraw consent
Where we process information based on the data subject’s (your) consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Please note, where you withdraw your consent this will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal nor further processing of the same data under other legal basis such as contract or compliance with a legal obligation.
The right to complain
If you wish to discuss your personal data or lodge a concern about the way in which it is handled, please contact the Capita DPO via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unhappy with our response, you have the right to complain to the Supervisory Authority, the details of which are below:
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Capita may change this notice by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This privacy notice is effective from July 2020.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for or have a question or concern about our use of your personal data, please contact email@example.com.
DPO address: firstname.lastname@example.org