Capita Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is the assessment provider for the Department for Work and Pensions in England and Wales and for the Social Security Agency (SSA) in Northern Ireland, assessing over 200,000 PIP claimants every year. As part of the delivery of this assessment service to the DWP, we’re required to manage all contacts with claimants and needed a partner who could provide a multichannel communication process to facilitate this service.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is the UK’s biggest public service department, serving over 20 million customers. One of the benefits it administers is the Personal Independence Payment (PIP), a non-means tested benefit for people aged between 16 and 64 who have a long-term health condition or impairment.
PIP needed an assessment service which allowed for the management of all communications to claimants and which would deliver a consistent and personalised customer experience. We partnered with the PIP team to develop a multichannel communication solution to support this assessment process.
Robust multi-channel communications
Using our secure printing facility in Mansfield, we’ve optimised printing through a white paper solution. Digitally storing art and data and printing directly onto white paper reels have eliminated the need for expensive and bulky pre-printed stock. All items are printed, inserted, sealed and posted on site thereby minimising the risk of a breach of security.
We also handle the Capita PIP team’s customer correspondence as part of a digital mailroom service. Physical mail items are received daily, converted into digital files and routed directly into the correct workflow for the client. Hard copies of documents are archived so they can be easily accessed for audit and customer service purposes. Retention and secure destruction is also carefully managed.
Our services include:
- Print and despatch of appointment letters, Further Medical Evidence (FME) and Managed Reassessment packs. Files are received and despatched daily with 1.4 million letters and packs despatched every year.
- Provide claimants with alternative accessible communication methods, including large print, braille, and audio CDs.
- Provision of a digital mailroom service including the scanning of written communications from general mail to expense claim forms.
- Handling 40,000 inbound mail items per annum.
- Storage and archiving of files and correspondence.
Benefits to the Personal Independence Payment service:
- Improved responsiveness - managing expense claim forms and other inbound correspondence enables Capita PIP teams to assign work digitally on the day it is received.
- Boosted productivity - using our state-of-the-art white paper solution, we can quickly and efficiently send large volumes of letters and packs to claimants.
- Higher output, lower outgoings - streamlined operations are improving productivity whilst driving down costs.
- Print procurement - offering a choice of accessibility formats from a single source.
- Reduced postage and printing costs.
- Instant access to business-critical files - we can typically deliver inbound posts 90 minutes earlier to the correct recipient or workflow.
- Improved accessibility options allowing communications to be provided in various formats.
- Using our white paper solution ensures a consistent and personalised claimant experience, as well as minimising stock costs.